[openstack-dev] [Swift] container-sync problems in global data sync senario

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 15:22:46 UTC 2013

Taking a "snapshot" of swift seems counterintuitive to me.  It seems like
there would be a number of gaps -  no locking to allow for a consistent
image, PUT overwrites are immediate, no index of deltas between snapshots.
 Maybe I misunderstand your goal.

I don't believe container sync shouldn't send multiple PUT requests with
the whole object.  Each container keeps an index of the last row synced and
co-ordinate's with the other replicas using a modulo schema.  Eventually
there's a tail sweep to make sure everything is caught up, but I thought it
did a HEAD or a if-not-match check.  I may be mistaken.  It's been awhile
since I've looked at that code closely - maybe I'll have an opportunity to
do that soon.  If you are getting a bunch of un-needed transfer across the
wire it may be a bug. Perhaps you could provide a simple detailed scenario
that will reproduce the undesirable behavior.

-Clay