[openstack-dev] [DevStack] Python dependencies: PyPI vs distro packages

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Aug 8 17:52:45 UTC 2013

Just an idea how this could go (without saying just use anvil).

Taking from how anvil is doing it the following might work:

1. In devstack pass all the requirement files to multipip to get a unified
list back.
2. Use yumfind (maybe a similar utility that integrates with apt-get/apt
also?) to scan the repos for the given python requirements in the unified
list.
3. For ones that are matched, install them, for ones that aren't, use the
py2rpm (another similar tool for 'debs' needed here) tool to build them,
then install the build rpms.
4. Now `python setup.py install` all the openstack components packages (no
need for a venv at this point, but it probably doesn't hurt?).
   a. Due to the previous steps all components dependencies should already
be installed so everything should proceed correctly.
5. Profit.