[openstack-dev] Blueprint for Nova native image building

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at markwash.net
Thu Aug 8 16:42:00 UTC 2013

There is a current proposal in glance that is receiving development
attention towards "importing" images asynchronously from a variety of
sources. The import feature is plugin-based, so it would be easy to add on
the ability and a plugin to do something like importing base os installs.

The blueprint is
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/new-upload-workflow. It is
currently targeted for Havana-3 (but is probably the first blueprint on the
chopping block due to other dependencies that have not yet landed).

I think this approach probably makes more sense than putting the code
directly into Nova. But overall, I'm somewhat in favor of keeping this
feature out of core OpenStack projects for now. It feels niche enough that
it could live as its own project without burdening its users--most folks
who build base images are probably operations anyway and can deploy stuff.
And I think there are a number of other tools perhaps that make it easier
for the smallest shops to build base images (?)

I don't buy the argument about it being a lot more work to implement this
feature outside of OpenStack. Not that the argument is false, but the
concern seems minor compared to the cost of weighing down core with yet
another feature. From where I'm sitting, OpenStack is still in the "too
many features coming too fast" regime and architecture hasn't caught up. So
putting on the breaks wherever possible seems like the wisest course.