[openstack-dev] [DevStack] Python dependencies: PyPI vs distro packages

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 8 08:14:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 11:36:44PM -0300, Monty Taylor wrote:

> On 08/06/2013 11:14 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> > On 7 August 2013 11:22, Jay Buffington <me at jaybuff.com> wrote:
> >
> >>     ln -s /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirtmod_qemu.so
> >> $(VENV)/lib/python2.6/site-packages/
> >>
> >> Why isn't libvirt-python on pypi?  AFAICT, nothing is stopping us from
> >> uploading it.  Maybe we should just stick it on there and this issue
> >> will be resolved once and for all.
> >
> > Please please oh yes please :).
>
> It doesn't build from a setup.py, so there is nothing to upload. It's
> built as part of the libvirt C library, and its build depends on scripts
> that autogenerate source code from the C library headers (think swig,
> except homegrown)

Yep, 90% of the libvirt python module is auto-generated based on
artifacts from the C library build. That doesn't mean to say it
could not be separated out from the main package, but it not going
to be a quick or simple job. Anyone wanting to volunteer to do this
kind of thing needs to start a discussion on the libvirt mailing
list with their proposals to get buy in from upstream libvirt
maintainers.

Daniel