[openstack-dev] Keystone Split Backend LDAP Hang Problem

Miller, Mark M (EB SW Cloud - R&D - Corvallis) mark.m.miller at hp.com
Thu Aug 8 00:05:53 UTC 2013

I have been thinking about the keystone user lookup GET API for a split LDAP/SQL backend when you are using a read only LDAP backend:

                http://15.253.58.165:35357/v3/auth/tokens

A suggestion has been made to add additional lookup constraints via a filter. The problem with read only LDAP databases is that you are not able to tag the keystone users with any flags to indicate that they are keystone users. The current Keystone H-2  LDAP backend code performs the _ldap_get_all function (which took 1 ½ hours today) and must then look to see which of those users are in the keystone database because the REST API call only returned the one user that I had assigned a project role to. I am thinking that this logic is backwards. Instead of starting with the LDAP server, start by querying the keystone SQL database for LDAP users and then query the LDAP system for those users a certain number at a time (good use of pagination). By the way, I am assuming that keystone finds the LDAP users by looking in the user_project_metadata, user_group_membership_ anduser_domain_metadata tables for user IDs that are not in the user table.

Mark