[openstack-dev] [Keystone] V3 Extensions Discoverability

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 15:40:42 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Sam Harwell <sam.harwell at rackspace.com>wrote:

> Please excuse me for being vague with many parts of this reply. Since I'm
> still learning the terminology used throughout this project, I chose to be
> non-specific rather than risk using the wrong name and distract from the
> points I'm trying to make.

Fair enough! I'll attempt to "translate" a bit below as there's already
some mixing of terminology in this thread.

> From a client perspective, the most important issue in writing a reliable
> application that is truly portable across implementations is ensuring that
> the API defines a way to determine whether or not a provider supports a
> particular optional feature. The precise manner in which that functionality
> is exposed does not matter so much. My only concern with consolidating
> feature discoverability into a single "endpoints" function, where users are
> expected to include standardized endpoints as well as non-standard
> endpoints ("extensions"), is the possibility of name collisions.

This seems to presume that an API extension must always present a discrete
endpoint, which may not be the case. A simple API extension may only add an
attribute to an existing API response, for example.

Our existing `GET /v#/extensions` satisfies the use case for your
"endpoints function," however. To avoid any possible confusion, this API
resource shouldn't be confused with Identity API's `GET /v3/endpoints`
which is specifically an API for managing raw service endpoints (it's worth
stressing that /v3/endpoints has no knowledge of the API extensions
presented by those services, nor should it).

> In this case, it helps to reserve certain names for use with standardized
> features (e.g. names starting with OS- could be reserved for optional
> behavior defined in the OpenStack specifications, and names starting with
> {Vendor}- could be reserved for optional behavior defined elsewhere).

That's exactly the convention that we follow, which I think alleviates your
concern for name collisions above.

> On the subject of "incrementing" an API version - this certainly makes
> sense for APIs that are linear. In practice, however, multiple
> implementations of similar features often produce aliased version numbers
> and/or overlapping version ranges, which makes incrementing the version
> number useless. This can be resolved by only using (and incrementing) API
> version numbers for the official, root-level specification. For a named
> extension, the "owner" of the extension acts as the root-level
> specification for the extension and should be the only one incrementing the
> version number. In cases where an API or extension has been altered from
> its original form, the alteration can be presented in a modular form, where
> the implementation supports the original versioned API under its originally
> published name and version, and offers the altered features as an extension
> with a new name. This allows the alterations to the core functionality to
> be linearly versioned independently from the core functionality itself.
>
> Thank you,
> Sam Harwell

-Dolph