[openstack-dev] [Nova] Hypervisor Version Support

Kaushik Chandrashekar kaushik.chandrashekar at rackspace.com
Wed Aug 7 02:08:41 UTC 2013

Hi All,

We are working on adding hypervisors version support for xen,
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/xen-support-for-hypervisor-versions

The initial design is,

   1. The image would have a property with hypervisor version requirements,
   in this format '>=6.0,<6.2'
   2. The host state manager would have the hypervisor version loaded in
   (6,0,1) format.
   3. If the hypervisor versions are present in both of these, the
   image_props_filter would filter hypervisors based on them.
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/36073/15/nova/scheduler/filters/image_props_filter.py

We want to generalise this versioning for all hypervisors. So we are
thinking of having "a.b.c.d" or (a, b, c ,d) as the version type where a,
b, c, d are numbers. Do you see any hypervisors that have a different
versioning format?

Kaushik