[openstack-dev] Motion to start using Gerrit for TC votes

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Aug 6 20:32:17 UTC 2013

Hi!

Currently, we make motions by email, then we discuss them by mailing
list, then we discuss them more in IRC, then we vote on them - at which
point the actual thing voted on may or may not get recorded somewhere
easy to find.

What if instead we had a repo with a bunch of ReStructureText in it -
perhaps a copy of the TC charter and then a dir for additional things
the TC has decided. That repo would be autopublished to a non-wiki
website ... and the core team for the repo was the TC. EXCEPT, we didnt'
do a 2 core +2 thing ... we'd have some slightly different rules. Such
as - certain number of days it has to be open, certain number of +1
votes, etc. And then only the TC chair has the actual APRV vote, which
is used to codify the vote tallies.

This would allow for clear voting by both the TC and others - is
consistent with tooling we ALL know how to use, and has the benefit of
producing a clear published record of the results when it's done. That
way also, TC members and others can do a decent amount of the actual
discussion outside of TC meeting, and we can save meeting time for
resolution of issues/questions that simply cannot be sorted out via
gerrit process.

Monty