[openstack-dev] [Neutron] FWaaS: Support for explicit commit

Sumit Naiksatam sumitnaiksatam at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 01:43:37 UTC 2013

Hi All,

In Neutron Firewall as a Service (FWaaS), we currently support an
implicit commit mode, wherein a change made to a firewall_rule is
propagated immediately to all the firewalls that use this rule (via
the firewall_policy association), and the rule gets applied in the
backend firewalls. This might be acceptable, however this is different
from the explicit commit semantics which most firewalls support.
Having an explicit commit operation ensures that multiple rules can be
applied atomically, as opposed to in the implicit case where each rule
is applied atomically and thus opens up the possibility of security
holes between two successive rule applications.

So the proposal here is quite simple -

* When any changes are made to the firewall_rules
(added/deleted/updated), no changes will happen on the firewall (only
the corresponding firewall_rule resources are modified).

* We will support an explicit commit operation on the firewall
resource. Any changes made to the rules since the last commit will now
be applied to the firewall when this commit operation is invoked.

* A show operation on the firewall will show a list of the currently
committed rules, and also the pending changes.

Kindly respond if you have any comments on this.

Thanks,
~Sumit.