[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Looking for some help understanding default meters

Thomas Maddox thomas.maddox at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Aug 2 13:59:45 UTC 2013

Hey all,

I've been poking around to get an understanding of what some of these default meters mean in the course of researching this Glance bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1201701). I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what the instance meter is. The unit 'instance' sort of confuses me when each one of these meters is tied to a single resource (instance), especially because it looks like a count of all notifications regarding a particular instance that hit the bus. Here's some output for one of the instances I spun up: http://paste.openstack.org/show/42963/. Another concern I have is I think I may have found another bug, because I can delete the instance shown in this paste, and it still has a resource state description of 'scheduling' long after it's been deleted: http://paste.openstack.org/show/42962/, much like the Glance issue I'm currently working on.

I'm very new to this, so feel free to be verbose. =]

Thanks for your time!

-Thomas