[openstack-dev] [Network] The destiny of run_test.sh

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Tue Apr 30 22:23:47 UTC 2013

Extending the discussion on [1] to the broader community.

While discussing a bug report concerning a problem with run_tests.sh [2],
several people suggested to remove it, and a patch to this aim was proposed.

However, it seems there are a few arguments for keeping run_test.sh alive.
For more information, please refer to [1].

All the other core projects still have this test runner, and this should be
the main push for keeping it in Openstack-Network (aka the project formerly
known as Quantum). On the other hand one might argue that there's nothing
that run_tests.sh does that one cannot do with tox too, and issues such as
slowness because of sdist can be addressed.

Personally, I do not have a strong opinion. I think the most important
thing is to be consistent with all the openstack  projects; maintaining
only a test runner instead of two would be nice too, but consistency is
more important for me.

Have a good day,
Salvatore

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/27695/