[openstack-dev] Continuous deployment - significant process change

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Apr 30 20:12:48 UTC 2013

On 04/30/2013 03:55 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
<snip>

> I understand that this is a straw-man. I know that other things can
> happen. But I see a lot of development happen under the stable release
> process scenario above. I fail to see where having new code arrive
> incrementally in small batches and protected by feature flags is going
> to make anything worse. Those things, however, should make continuous
> delivery of OpenStack much smoother.

Right, it's a straw man, which doesn't help generate any clarity. :)

I think instead of discussing philosophy here we should talk about
specifics that happened in the source tree that caused deployers pain,
and take lessons learned out of them.

I think the reality is that openstack tree and process is very close to
what the CD folks want. The only thing that's causing some allergy among
the core teams is the idea of features coming in in an off state, versus
coming in default on so they get exercised by our normal system.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net