[openstack-dev] Fwd: [Quantum][LBaaS] LBaaS development plan for Havana

Pattabi Ayyasami pattabi at Brocade.com
Mon Apr 29 18:25:04 UTC 2013

Thanks Eugene for putting together the various options.  Option 4 (and to a certain extent, Option 3) should work us for integrating the Device driver.  Is Option 4 is similar/same as per the https://review.openstack.org/#/c/20579<https://review.openstack.org/> with the Plugin Driver added?
Also, we talked about the Device Inventory Plugin Module to explicitly add devices to the system (with a separate DB Schema). Will this be supported? Also, can the vendor driver implement the logic of device selection as against the Plugin Driver/Device Scheduler choosing the device ?

Also, to get the end to end vendor driver integration, need support for exception handling on the Agent side so that if there are any exceptions/errors happen while configuring the device, the device driver can propagate it to the Agent and Plugin.

Regards,
Pattabi

From: Eugene Nikanorov [mailto:enikanorov at mirantis.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 11:37 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List
Cc: Youcef Laribi
Subject: [openstack-dev] Fwd: [Quantum][LBaaS] LBaaS development plan for Havana

Folks,

Sorry, I forgot to 'reply all'.
Wiki page (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Quantum/LBaaS/PluginDrivers ) contains some possible ways of interacting between various components of lbaas.
Youcef, your model #5 is also possible, feel free to add it to the page. (Btw, I used websequencediagrams.com<http://websequencediagrams.com> to make pictures)

As for asynchronocity: I implied that 1st, 2nd, and 4th approach would use rpc 'cast' method, which is non-blocking. Agent then will call some plugin-side callback to acknowledge status of the object being CRUDed.
As for rest-proxy case (I hope I've chosen the right name for what Radware wants) - I think that it could be implemented just in the same way. If not then it would be responsibility of the driver or agent to provide that async behavior.

In fact, I've been thinking a while about async drivers and came to conclusion that it's an overhead, because once we start talking to some in-quantum component via rpc it becomes in-quantum agent.
That has 2 consequences:
1) if you have such async driver, you should not use separate agent (or it would be plugin->(rpc) driver->(rpc) agent, which is an overhead)
2) you can't use main advantage of agents: load distribution across different hosts.
So currently I think we could be ok with 'sync' drivers until they do not wait for corresponding agent.

Thanks,
Eugene.