[openstack-dev] [nova][keystone] Message Queue Security

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Apr 26 01:16:41 UTC 2013

On 26 April 2013 01:51, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:

>> 5. Can we please use ISO 8601 timestamps instead of unixtime?
>
> At the moment I am experimenting with python time.time() values that
> have sub-second resolution. ISO8601 timestamp do not really make sense
> here, This timestamp is not for human consumption, and having to parse
> it back and forth is unnecessary. Also ISO 8601 does not have sub-second
> resolution, while we may want to use it so that we can also drop the
> counter as the chance of 2 message being sent to the same target to end
> up with the same timestamp are low, and we can make it 0 by simply
> keeping around the old timestamp and increasing it by 1 if the new one
> matches exactly.

If you're going for a protocol definition, ISO8601 is pretty low
overhead - particularly if you set a specific subset - e.g. all fields
including nanoseconds. If we really want speed though we should be
looking at binary formats (e.g. protobufs/bson/etc).

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist