[openstack-dev] Live migration/resizing summit talk

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Thu Apr 25 20:21:05 UTC 2013

> I remember there being talk about possible solutions, something along
> the lines of a external entity (orchestration/conductor… whatever)
> creating a session key for said hypervisors, then allowing
> communication between those hypervisors to perform said operation for
> a limited period of time. That’s one approach, said
> orchestration/conductor could also open a secure tunnel and tell the
> hypervisors to use said channel (and then said
> orchestration/conductor thingy could close that channel
> automatically…) for communication.

Yep, that is my recollection of the discussion as well.

We're planning to start work on this soon. I think the first step is
just moving and unifying all of the resize/migrate paths (which are
currently separate) to conductor. This will give us better test
coverage on the live path (which is currently at 0%) as well as give us
a chance to refactor things in a way that reduces or eliminates state
on the compute nodes.

After we do that, I think we can look at ways to improve the security
of the actual transport between compute nodes for migration.

In the past, I've created systems where the third party
(conductor in this case) installs temporary keys on the sending and
receiving nodes for the duration of time they're expected to converse,
and then revokes them after. This seems to be the most efficient
(network-wise) way to go, but it does expose the receiver to the sender
for a period of time. Given that the compute node(s) can't initiate the
migration, this seems like the best option, weighing risk and
performance, IMHO.

The other mechanism we discussed, as you said, was proxying all that
traffic through the intermediate node, which ends up duplicating a lot
of network traffic, making the process take longer, and technically
makes it more susceptible to a hardware failure while it's in transit.
Another problem is that this could potentially require a different
proxy implementation on the conductor for each hypervisor, which I
think is rather smelly.

I was planning to discuss breakdown of at least the first phase of this
work in terms of blueprints at the nova meeting in forty minutes.

--Dan