[openstack-dev] [nova][keystone] Message Queue Security

Bhandaru, Malini K malini.k.bhandaru at intel.com
Thu Apr 25 15:41:02 UTC 2013

My take on encryption choice:
1) Not giving choice when it exists is bad. We especially do not want our solution to be disregarded because of its restrictiveness.
2) The novice user/deployer/enterprise can be agnostic of the crypto choices, the defaults being set to NIST best practices.
3) Billing -- encrypted/un-encrypted rates will differ, and a 1024 bit key encryption would be more expensive than a 256 bit key.
     A small deployer may want to give their public web pages un-encrypted but their high value customer/pay-roll data strongly encrypted and with different strengths may be. Sometimes in retail, the winner of a contract may differ in price point by just a cent. This choice affords both user and cloud provider different monitization rates. I am thinking for object/volume encryption here, not openstack endpoint to endpoint communication.
There we can keep things fixed, best practice.
Regards
Malini