[openstack-dev] [marconi] Development process adjustments

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Apr 24 18:26:09 UTC 2013

On 04/24/2013 02:13 PM, Kurt Griffiths wrote:
>> but if one of the lenses you look at it through is "how can the
>> openstack infrastructure, process or tooling be improved" I'd greatly
>> appreciate it!
>
> Sure thing. Right now I'm using blueprints as a nexus, tying things
> together (wiki, trello, etherpad), but what I haven't found (yet) in the
> OpenStack ecosystem was a de-facto way to manage day-to-day work given a
> scrum-style process.
>
> I think it's healthy to experiment with a few different ways to do things,
> learn from that, and merge useful bits over time.

My concern with this type of process in an open source project is that
it comes with fundamental assumptions that just aren't true.  For
example, you can't assume that the people working on the project can be
available for a daily standup due to other commitments, time zones,
whatever.  You also can't assume that someone's availability to work on
tasks is consistent, so sprint planning is ... challenging and less
useful.  Contributors just aren't resources that you control.

The end result that I'm afraid of is that you have some contributors
'in' the process and others that aren't, making it a less inviting
project to get involved with.

I'm obviously a bit pessimistic, but by all means experiment and report
results.  :-)

--
Russell Bryant