[openstack-dev] Interesting and representative performance workloads for OpenStack

Timothy Daly timjr at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Apr 24 16:15:56 UTC 2013

Hi Ray!

We've been thinking about similar things here at Y!.

So far we've made good progress just running loops that, for example, boot VMs in batches of 20.  It has turned up performance problems and concurrency bugs.

In terms of in-VM testing, a coworker built a little thing does a benchmark at boot time, (you pass the command to install and start in your user data).  It posts the benchmark results back to a redis database so you can collect them easily.  It just uses simple benchmarks:

* dns resolver latency with dig
* disk bandwidth with dd
* disk latency with ioping
* download speed using wget from a CDN
* cpu speed using bc calculating 2^2^20

There are a lot of things that could be added, of course... the other thing we were thinking of doing is giving it a schedule so it runs regularly instead of just once at bootup.  Not sure how useful that will be.  At least a bit to run in a loop could be handy to test scheduler changes and interactions between multiple VMs...

Time to boot is done simply by posting the timestamp of the beginning of the benchmark run back to redis.

We want to move towards a test driver that has the following properties:

* load generation is driven by a config file, so you can have multiple different tests
* once the test is complete, logs, tracing data, and config is all gathered and saved
* a reporting tool that can show the results of one test run, or compare the results of at least two

Cheers,
Tim