[openstack-dev] [Heat] Template repository location (infra guidance needed)

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Wed Apr 24 12:36:39 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:04:22PM +0200, Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 23/04/13 22:53, Steven Hardy wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >We've had some discussions recently within the team about creating a
> >"heat-templates" repo somewhere, for the following reasons:
> >
> >1. Separate the existing example templates[1] from the main code repo
>
> It's worth pointing out that, for better or worse - and, candidly,
> probably mostly the latter - many of the Heat "unit" tests rely on
> reading templates from the source tree. So we'll probably have to
> simplify those and pull them inline in the test code. Just throwing
> that out there.

That's a very good point, which I'd forgotten ;)

I think it's mostly a dependency on the basic wordpress template, so I
guess we could just move a copy of that template under the tests directory
- I'll look into the easiest fix.

> >2. Provide a central place for us to put/review new heat-native/dsl/HOT
> >    templates when we define/implement the syntax [2]
> >3. Somewhere to put the oz TDLs we currently bundle with heat-jeos[3] so
> >    that we can deprecate that tool and replace it with a simple shell-script
> >    or documentation.
> >
> >So our discussions so far have revolved around creating a stackforge
> >"heat-templates" repo, which seems OK, but my question (for the
> >infra/release team) is, would it make more sense to make another repo under
> >the main openstack org, since these templates will be directly related to
> >Heat (although possibly not part of the coordinated release)?
> >
> >I'm happy to go ahead and create a stackforge repo if another repo under
> >the main openstack github org is deemed a bad idea, but wanted
> >clarification/guidance before proceeding.
>
> +1 for Stackforge

Ok, sounds like we have agreement on Stackforge, I'll set up a repo later
today.

Thanks,

Steve