[openstack-dev] [keystone] Inherited domain roles

Henry Nash henryn at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Apr 24 12:23:26 UTC 2013

So as to whether this "solves the lack of a super admin problem", I think it does for the common cloud provider case, i.e.:

1) I think of this process of bring up a cloud.  Initially the cloud provider brings this up and there are no customers, users, projects etc.
2) Using the admin token, the cloud provider creates they first real cloud provider admin user, and an admin role that basically gives them access to all apis, by matching something like the admin_required policy rule.  That real cloud provider admin user can then log in, create more cloud provider admin users, maybe a group to hold them in etc.
3) At some point the cloud provider wants to on-board their first customer.  A cloud provider admin creates a domain for the new customer and creates a "customer admin" user within that domain.  This will be the initial customer admin user account that will be given to the customer so that they can administer their own users, group and projects within their own domain.  This is the common case for enterprises being hosted by a public cloud provider.  Up to know, everything can be done with the current v3 API.
4) So that the cloud provider can retain certain agreed rights on all customer projects within the customer domain, the cloud provider assigns the cloud provider admin user (or more likely a cloud provider admin group) an appropriate role onto the customer domain, marking it as inherited.  Any cloud provider admin within that cloud provider admin group will then get that role on all customer projects, hence retaining whatever level of access they want and have agreed they can retain with their customers.  This could be full admin rights of course, or some subset as defined by the role.

Note that without step 4, the cloud provider would be dependant on the customer admin assigning the appropriate role for the cloud provider, meaning that the cloud provider admin might have to resort to using the admin token - something I think we want to keep for bootstrapping and emergencies.

Henry