[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Updating ceilometer developer documentation at docs.openstack.org

Neal, Phil (Cloud Services) phil.neal at hp.com
Tue Apr 23 20:20:53 UTC 2013

The documentation on how to make updates to the content at
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/... doesn't seem to exist, so
I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on the process or point me to
the right spot...

Here's what I'm running into:

1. It looks like we're maintaining documentation in our Ceilometer repo
(https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer vs. the centralized set at
https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals.git). No problems there, just
need confirmation.

2. It seems like the correct approach is to make edits as needed to the
content  ceilometer/docs/source directory, then run the Sphinx "make html"
command to generate the html files. I'm running into a host of errors,
though, so I'm questioning if this is the right tool.

3. I'm not understanding the connection between the content of the .rst
files and what appears on the web site...it seems like there's some content
that's getting generated that doesn't exist in the code or the .rst
files....is it black magic?

- Phil