[openstack-dev] Postgresql and the gate and OpenStack in general

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Apr 23 15:03:07 UTC 2013

Clark and I discovered yesterday that Postgresql is no longer running in
the gate. Turns out a set of subtle changes over in devstack & devstack
gate meant we weren't setting things correctly, so we've been running
for a couple of weeks without postgresql.

On the plus side we didn't break any previous tempest tests. On the down
side, we merged a few more tempest negative tests that generate stack
traces in Postgresql because we very often send bad data all the way
down to the database.

MySQL happily will put anything in a where clause (regardless of type,
size, smelliness), and return "not found". Postgresql is actually typed,
and throws a DataError if you try to use string as an int, or too long
of an int as and int. When we fixed this for get_instance(id) we added
catching the DataError in the SQLA layer, translating to an InvalidID to
pass it to the request layer, where it gets turned into a NotFound for
the user.

Now that we're seeing it in another couple of places, we should probably
think about more systematic ways to go about this.

Also, if Postgresql is really important to someone, we really do need a
champion on it that's going to aggressively be trying to expose these
issues. There are some quick fixes (more DataError -> InvalidID
catches), but the right answer is probably a more systemic approach
about preventing these kinds of requests to get down to the lower layers
at all.

But, this still needs a champion and a doer to get us there. I was that
for Grizzly to prove it was doable, and clean out a set of issues, but
for Havana this is pretty low priority for me, so someone else is really
needed here to keep postgresql functioning in the gate.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net