[openstack-dev] blueprint proposal nova-compute fencing for HA ?

Leen Besselink ubuntu at consolejunkie.net
Tue Apr 23 00:01:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 07:05:18PM -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 04/22/2013 06:32 PM, Leen Besselink wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> This sounds familiar :)  These have been integrated in to several
> >> projects, including Pacemaker and oVirt:
> >>
> >> https://git.fedorahosted.org/git/fence-agents.git
> >>

> > Ahh, of course, that is a good idea. Thanks.
> >
> > It is also packaged in Debian/Ubuntu.
> >
> > I even had it checked out on my desktop, so I had seen it before. And I should have
> > known better. :-)
> >
> > So where would the code that calls such fence-agents best fit into OpenStack ?
> >
> > Or maybe this is an other new service in OpenStack (like there aren't enough already) ?
> >
> > I guess it would run on a machine where you would also find something like the Nova
> > baremetal deploy helper service.
>
> It seems like something that doesn't belong in OpenStack.  Take a look
> at Pacemaker.  It does quite a bit of this already.  You can have it
> monitoring a compute node, detect failure, and react accordingly,
> including the fencing part.

I know it does that, but how far can you scale that ?

16 nodes ?

What do you if you have multiple nodes fail at ones in that cluster ?

You might not have enough capacity in the cluster to run the instances,
but you might have enough capacity on machines outside of that cluster.

So how do you deal with things like that ?