[openstack-dev] blueprint proposal nova-compute fencing for HA ?

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Mon Apr 22 12:58:13 UTC 2013

I think this is a good idea.
We already have a framework in Nova to detect and report the failure
(service group monitoring APIs, with DB and ZK backends already
implemented), as well as APIs to list instances on a host and to evacuate
individual instances (soon with destination selected by the scheduler).
Indeed, the missing pieces now are the end-to-end orchestration (which is
probably not going to happen within Nova, at least at the moment), and the
mechanism(s) to isolate the failed host (e.g., to protect against false
failure detection events) -- which could potentially happen in several
places, as you mentioned. It might be the case that whatever can be done
within Nova is already there -- the corresponding nova-compute will be
considered down. So, maybe now the question is which additional components
might be used (as you mentioned -- bare-metal, quantum, cinder, etc). Once
the individual measures are clear (and implemented), the orchestration
logic (wherever that would be) can use them.

Regards,
Alex