[openstack-dev] Grizzly's out - let the numbers begin...

Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona jgb at bitergia.com
Sun Apr 14 06:48:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-04-09 at 18:42 -0700, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2013, at 3:02 PM, Daniel Izquierdo <dizquierdo at bitergia.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Vish,
> >
> > On 04/09/2013 05:47 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> >> Any insight into how the number of closed tickets were generated? I
> just checked my stats for grizzly and noticed that I fixed 38 bugs in
> nova alone[1]. Counting all projects (it is a little harder to find
> results for the python-*clients since we don't have coordinated
> releases) it is somewhere around 45, yet our company only has 34
> listed for the entire release. There is clearly some error in the
> tickect closing statistics.
> >
> > We already had a small discussion with other OpenStack members about
> how to measure activity. What we're measuring when talking about
> tickets are those whose final stage is "Fix Committed".
> >
> > At the beginning, we considered other stages as "final" ones such as
> "Fix Released" or "Won't Fix", however Thierry appeared to have an
> incredible high number of "closed" tickets for that definition. So,
> what you can see (as specified in [1]) is the number of closed bugs
> with the condition of being in the "Fix Committed" stage (only that).
>
> The act of "closing" as in changing the state of the bug is relatively
> meaningless. Jenkins sets fix committed is most cases and the release
> manager or jenkins sets fix released. It makes a lot more sense to use
> the assignee of the bug. That is the person that did the actual work.

Thanks a lot for this insight. We've been playing a bit with our
database, and these are the results [long message].

We have focused on tickets reaching the state of "Fixed Committed", as
Mark McLoughlin and Michael Still sugeested.

First of all, there is the issue of which tickets to consider. We have
considered tickets being closed during the Grizzly release cycle, and
for all OpenStack trackers (complete list of what we're considering as
"all trackers" is in http://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack. As you will
see, numbers below are different from those commented by Mark, I wonder
if this is because either the list of trackers or the date condition is
different for his study.

Anyway, we've found 2,806 tickets transitioning to "Fix committed" at
least once during the periodm with a total of 3,784 transitions of that
kind.

Of those, we have tracked the asignee at the time of the transitioning,
finding 387 different identities, which according to our records
correspond to 329 different persons. Of those, we have identified
companies for 228, which amount for 2,084

Bitergia: http://bitergia.com http://blog.bitergia.com