[openstack-dev] [Heat] TOSCA, CAMP, CloudFormation, ???

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Apr 12 21:22:36 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-12 08:45, Adrian Otto wrote:
> This proposal will utilize the existing Heat agent. We currently use
> SSH keypair injection on the API call to the Cloud Servers API to
> bootstrap compute nodes in the simple case. The idea is to leave that
> open to handle whatever the system Provider modules want to
> instrument. Please recognize that we want this DSL to work regardless
> of what the underlying hardware/cloud infrastructure is. It can work
> on your laptop with vagrant, with OpenStack, with a public cloud… that
> should not matter. The vendor specific implementations all go into the
> Provider plug-ins. The idea is to enable decentralized implementation
> of vendor-specific systems, and centralized sharing of best practices
> for application deployment. Imagine an OpenStack community repo of
> Heat Blueprints where everyone can publish their best practices.

So what I think you're saying is, Heat would have some intrinsic
providers for compute, object storage, block storage, etc. Users would
somehow be able to define their own providers inside compute servers via
an API, which could then be referenced directly in the DSL? So if I want
memcached, I write a provider definition for it, and somehow deliver it
into the compute node and notify Heat of its presence?

The spec is really unclear on how providers are defined (or I'm just
overloaded with specs and can't comprehend it), but I am actually pretty
excited to see a system that allows users to reference and manage
compute-hosted things at the same level as "under the cloud" resources.