[openstack-dev] Updating pip-requires in the stable branch

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 15:05:21 UTC 2013

Hi Julie,

On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 09:51 -0400, Julie Pichon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently looking into bug 1157950 [0] for Horizon, which is about
> adding support for the new fixed_ips quota. The fix depends on a
> recent version of the Nova client (2.12.0) and I'm wondering about the
> impact of having to update pip-requires when backporting it to Folsom.
> Would increasing the nova client required version cause trouble for
> the distributions packaging openstack? Without stable branches for the
> clients I'm not sure what other solution there is. Any thought/best
> practice?

Without thinking about it in too much detail, I think I'd err on the
side of not requiring newer clients on the stable branch.

In theory, the client APIs aren't supposed to change but the risk of
regressions in newer versions is probably enough for some users or
distros to want to stick with an older version.

i.e. requiring newer clients generally might make the stable branch less
of a "safe source of bugfixes" if the client updates are themselves
"safe"

That said, if the bug was serious enough ... the risk of a newer client
might be worth it.

Is there any way Horizon could use the newer version if its available,
but still work with the older version?

Cheers,
Mark.