[openstack-dev] Request for feedback - Nova image building proof of concept

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 14:13:02 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 12:27:29PM +1300, Robert Collins wrote:
> On 4 April 2013 11:10, Ian McLeod <imcleod at redhat.com> wrote:
> > We've put together a simple proof of concept of driving native operating
> > system installers using Nova:
> >
> > https://github.com/redhat-openstack/image-building-poc
> >
> > The python CLI tool in this repo, when combined with the example install
> > scripts, can build both glance-backed and cinder-backed JEOS images for
> > the following operating systems entirely inside of Nova:
> >
> > Fedora 17, 18
> > Ubuntu 10.04, 12.04, 12.10
> > RHEL 5.9, 6.4
> >
> > These builds can be done using network install sources and, in some
> > limited cases, DVD/ISO install sources.  Full details can be found in
> > the README.md file on github.
> >
> > Some background discussion about this approach from earlier this year
> > can be found here:
> >
> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaImageBuilding
> >
> > The code is a bit rough around the edges but we believe the approach has
> > promise and can form the basis for a proper image building service
> > native to OpenStack.
>
> It's cool you've done this - I think such a general solution is
> necessary, particularly for folk running systems like Windows.
>
> > I'd be grateful if anyone who's interested in the problem of image
> > building could have a look at this, give it a try and share
> > thoughts/feedback.
>
> We've been working on a much lighter weight solution - using as you
> note chroots - because we need something that can build images *fast*.
> TripleO wants to deploy Openstack as part of the CI pipeline, so even
> short (multiple second) delays add up rapidly as you starting
> generating images inline in the landing process.
> https://github.com/stackforge/diskimage-builder/ is the project we put
> together.
>
> The focus we have is building images which can be used to deploy
> openstack, so we have a hard requirement to not depend on openstack
> itself - but having an API that can drive building of images (by
> spinning up a machine on the back end) would be useful, to make custom
> images easier for folk on limited hardware etc.
>
> Perhaps we can collaborate on having a common API for creating images,
> with multiple backends - one oz for super generality, and one
> diskimage-builder for fast creation?

There is much more than just speed to consider here - there are a great
many downsides to the chroot based approach IMHO, to the extent that I
don't think it is worthwhile going down that route.

First of all a chroot based approach is not taking advantage of the
OS distro's installer, so you have to writen a load of custom install
code for each OS to be supported. The many existing/previous chroot
based installers show this OS specific code is very fragile and will
frequently break when a new release comes out & is alot of work to
maintain.

You're limited by the types of OS that can bootstrapped via chroot,
to mostly just Linux distros. No Windows, BSD, Solaris etc. Even with
Linux OS, you can run into compatibility issues if the kernel running
the chroot is not the same as the kernel that the OS usually uses.
For example, at certain times glibc in Fedora is set to require a new
minimum kernel version. So if your OpenStack is say RHEL-6 you may
find it impossible to do a chroot install of, say, Fedora 22.

Unless you boot up a guest in which run the chroot install, you are
exposing yourself to serious security risks. If you are booting up a
guest to run the chroot install, then you might as well just run the
real OS installer in a guest and forget about chroot installs.

Installation time is going to be dominated by the time to install the
packages actual packages, regardless of what technique is used to do
the installation. Running the native guest installer requires booting
a VM which has a little overhead, but as mentioned above and chroot
tool should be run inside a throw-away guest too, otherwise you have
unacceptable security risks to your infrastructure. So I don't really
think there is going to be much of a compelling speed advantage to
chroot based installs - a few % difference at best.

Finally there are already many chroot based installers for OS that
exist. Given that the amount of custom code required for each OS
to be supported, I'm not convinced it is a good use of time to be
re-inventing this in OpenStack. For the few places which really do
want todo chroot based installs, just use an existing tool.

OpenStack's value add comes in providing an easy way to automate the
creating of images, by taking a distro installer from glance and
running it in nova.

Regards,
Daniel