[openstack-dev] Quantum + ZeroMQ (with a sprinkling of Nova) in Folsom

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Tue Sep 25 18:00:40 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 13:08 PM, Dan Wendlandt wrote:
> To be clear, this is just when using zmq? rabbit and qpid are working
> as expected with dhcp, correct?

Dan, I presume that all the Rabbit code is working, since the Quantum team has been testing with it.

The previous patches have been to put together a best effort to get all RPC functionality in Quantum working wih ZeroMQ, but with the DHCP Agent as a lower priority. It seems now that the DHCP agent won't work at all with ZeroMQ in Folsom. I'm completely okay with this.

However, right now, none of the ZeroMQ code will work (in Quantum), given that the receiver daemon exists in Nova and the message format has changed.

The three options I see here are:
* Leave zeromq broken in Quantum - polling agents should still work.
* Introduce the changes in Nova
* Break the rpc-zmq-receiver out of Nova into a new project/location, introduce message versioning in a backport-fix, and retroactively depreciate nova-rpc-zmq-receiver. (This is kind of a solution to #1)

I admit the last is least risky and lowest-friction. Much of this has to be done anyway, but not necessarily in this order. I find it ugly, but not untenable.

Regards,
Eric Windisch