[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] heads-up on a tgtd/iscsiadm issue

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 15:42:50 UTC 2012

Folks,

On the Fedora OpenStack testday[1] we ran into problems with tgtd
picking up iscsi target config files for volumes.

Since these commits[2],[3] the --conf option is used explicitly
with 'tgt-admin update', with the result that it appears there is
no problem with the target config being picked up by tgtd from
/etc/cinder/volumes.

However, if tgtd is then restarted, we see subsequent attempts to use
(e.g. attach) pre-existing volumes fail with iscsiadm login timeouts.

The issue can be worked around by adding the line:

  include /etc/cinder/volumes/*

to the tgt targets config file (/etc/tgt/targets.conf).

It would be preferable[4] if this failed fast from the get-go, as
opposed to only blowing up on tgtd restart.

Cheers,
Eoghan

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2012-09-18_OpenStack
[2] https://github.com/openstack/nova/commit/0a09bf5f