[openstack-dev] [heat-api] Proposed heat watch/monitoring architectural changes

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Mon Sep 24 13:01:20 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have been looking at a rework of the current heat-api internal
architecture to better support our alarm/metric-collection facilities.

There has been some discussion within the team, but I'd like to ensure we
have a proper discussion with the whole team and any community members
who may be able to contribute ideas, before I proceed with what will be
fairly major rework.

I know that asalkeld was in discussion with the ceilometer project re
merging some of these features into ceilometer, my understanding is that
this is unlikely in the short/medium term, hence the proposed changes
below, please advise if anyone knows different :)

The aim of this rework is as follows:
- Provide a better/more-complete Cloudwatch API implementation
- Provide an openstack specific ReST API to the Cloudwatch features and
  data
- Separate ochestration (stack+resource management) from monitoring
  (metrics+alarms), aim is to simplify the code, and to provide better
  scalability and performance
- Replace the current metadata server, since it combines
  resource-metadata and monitoring, and does not authenticate client
  connections

The proposed changes are illustrated in the following diagram:
https://github.com/hardys/diagrams/blob/master/PNG/architecture-overview.png

Compare with our current architecture diagram:
https://github.com/heat-api/diagrams/blob/master/PNG/architecture-overview.png

Summary of proposed changes:
- Move resource metadata features of the current metadata-server API into
  the new heat ReST API
- Modify our cfn-hup implementation to retrieve metadata from the heat
  ReST API
- Modify our cfn-signal implementation to send WaitCondition metadata to
  the heat ReST API, longer term it may be better if the WaitCondition
  implementation is modified to use a Watch rule instead of writing the
  resource metadata.
- Move the metric and alarm/watch features of the metadata server into
  the Watch API (we already have a Cloudwatch compatible API  which
  supports this functionality, medium term perhaps using the proposed new
  Watch ReST API would be better)
- Modify our cfn-push-stats implementation to send data to the Watch API
- Separate out the metric/watch/alarm heat-engine features into a new
  process/daemon ("Watch Engine" in the diagram)
- Separate the current watch_rule and watch_data tables from the main
  heat DB into a watch-specific separarate DB
- Rework the watch DB schema, as it's currently non-ideal, and doesn't
  allow us to store event transitions/history which is required for a
  complete cloudwatch API implementation
- Figure out a scheme to put credentials on each instance, so they can
  authenticate with the heat/watch APIs

The final item is the one I am least clear about, we seem to need the
following:
- Either per-stack or per-instance credentials, created at stack creation
  time
- Credentials deployed to the instance in a secure way
- Credentials must not expire, or have to be refreshed (e.g via cfn-hup)
  in a reliable way.
- Note we cannot deploy the initial credentials via cfn-hup since it will
  now require credentials (chicken/egg!)

Does anyone have any thoughts about the best way to deploy the
credentials to each instance?

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or comments on any of the above
(and particularly on the credentials management), they would be
appreciated :)

Steve