[openstack-dev] DB Migration Testing

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Sep 20 20:48:57 UTC 2012

On 09/20/2012 04:12 PM, Brian Waldon wrote:
<snip>

>> +1.
>>
>> If you could just carve off bugs or an etherpad for the items that need to be attacked, I think we could parallelyze it very quickly. This kind of approach has been working really well for the api sample testing.
>
> It might be too late to really care about the Folsom migrations since I'm assuming we will compress the migrations as we did after the Essex release. It might be more reasonable to set strict guidelines for new migrations added in Grizzly.
>
>> It would also be really good if it was easy to run this via run_tests.sh. I think the previous issues was the impact it had on people on Macs. Is there any better story there?
>
> So I was testing on MySQL on Ubuntu, but we can get a lot of value in running testing on SQLite (which works find on Mac OS X).

There is some value, but enough differences that it's very much
different. Plus sqlite migrations tend to be treated a bit more
cavalierly because it's assumed it's test only, and shortcuts are
definitely taken.

We should really try to get this to a mysql option in unit tests.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
IBM Linux Technology Center