[openstack-dev] is variable "client_token" missing?

Jose Caballero jcaballero.hep at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 18:56:57 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

this is my first post in this list, so please forgive me if the question
has already been posted.
Also, if this is not the right place for this question, please just let me
know where I should go...

I am trying to get familiar with euca2ools.
I am running version 1.2 of the command line client [1]

The target is OpenStack version nova-essex.

I am trying to pass a value for the input variable  client_token.
It is my understanding that EC2 interface accepts it. Seems to be part of
the list of inputs for method run_instances() [2]
So what I have tried is to pass it from euca-run-instances [3], expecting
to see it with euca-describe-instances.
For that, I have added client_token to the list of inputs in
print_instances() method [4]
However, when running   euca-describe-instances, the field for client_token
appears blank.

So I am wondering if that variable is being ignored by nova-essex.
Or I am not doing it in the right way...

Any comment is more than welcome.
Thanks a lot in advance,
Jose

[1]

$ euca-run-instances --version
    Version: 1.2 (BSD)

[2]

$ cat /usr/lib/python2.7/site-package/boto/ec2/connection.py
[...]
    def run_instances(self, image_id, min_count=1, max_count=1,
                      key_name=None, security_groups=None,
                      user_data=None, addressing_type=None,
                      instance_type='m1.small', placement=None,
                      kernel_id=None, ramdisk_id=None,
                      monitoring_enabled=False, subnet_id=None,
                      block_device_map=None,
                      disable_api_termination=False,
                      instance_initiated_shutdown_behavior=None,
                      private_ip_address=None,
                      placement_group=None, client_token=None,
                      security_group_ids=None):
[...]

[3]

$ cat euca-run-instances
[...]
           reservation = euca_conn.run_instances(
                image_id=image_id,
                min_count=min_count,
                max_count=max_count,
                key_name=keyname,
                security_groups=group_names,
                user_data=user_data,
                addressing_type=addressing_type,
                instance_type=instance_type,
                placement=zone,
                kernel_id=kernel_id,
                ramdisk_id=ramdisk_id,
                block_device_map=block_device_map,
                monitoring_enabled=monitor,
                subnet_id=subnet_id,
                client_token="TESTING_CLIENT_TOKEN"
                )

[...]

[4]

$ cat ..../euca2ools/__init__py
[...]
def print_instances(instances, nil=""):
    members=( "id", "image_id", "public_dns_name", "private_dns_name",
        "state", "key_name", "ami_launch_index", "product_codes",
        "instance_type", "launch_time", "placement", "kernel",
        "ramdisk", "client_token" )

[...]