[openstack-dev] Upgrade testing: Grenade

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 17:22:04 UTC 2012

As a follow up to Brian's message[1] regarding Essex -> Folsom
upgrades we are announcing the initial availability of Grenade[2], a
test harness for performing OpenStack upgrades using DevStack.  The
wiki has more information at http://wiki.openstack.org/Grenade and the
code is on GitHub at https://github.com/nebula/grenade.

At this point we know that the upgrade steps outlined in Grenade's
upgrade-* scripts are incomplete but as Brian mentioned have already
uncovered some issues in database migrations.

We have begun discussions with the CI team regarding an appropriate
way to utilize Grenade in the CI process. Details are still being
worked out but the goal is to find upgrade issues early in the
development cycle rather than in the last weeks before a release.  It
is also another way to document/demonstrate the steps required to
upgrade between releases.

dt

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2012-September/001259.html
[2] http://wiki.openstack.org/Grenade