[openstack-dev] Moving auth_token middleware dependencies to openstack common

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue Sep 11 19:38:41 UTC 2012

On 09/11/2012 02:42 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 12:20 -0400, Adam Young wrote:
>> I think that we can get away with the current set up for auth_token
>> middleware  (shipping it inside Keystone but deploying it as a stand
>> alone file) if we move its dependencies to openstack common.  Those
>> dependencies are:
> Thinking about this some more ...
>
> The auth_token middleware is a client for part of keystone's API.
>
> It could be part of keystoneclient, or another library.
>
> If it moves to openstack-commmon, it would eventually end up being
> published as e.g. oslo-auth after going through an API stabilization
> period (aka "incubation")
>
> Do we gain anything from going this route? Could we not just publish a
> keystone-authclient library containing the middleware?
I think that the packaging end state would be

keystone-server.deb/rpm
keystone-authtoken-middleware.deb/rpm
openstack-common.deb/rpm

The top two would come out of the Keystone Git repository and would be
built by the same rpm spec file or deb equivalent.

auth-token is pretty separate from the client.  The client does not need
to authenticate, but rather needs to know how to fetch tokens on behalf
of the user.  I don't think auth-token makes sense there.

We could, in theory, create a third Keystone RPM, keystone-common, and
have both server and auth-token depend on that.