[openstack-dev] [CI] Gerrit Trivial Rebase Detection (LP bug 881184)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Sep 11 12:15:37 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-11 11:42:27 +0100 (+0100), Mark McLoughlin wrote:
[...]
> I've just noticed a case where this went a little wrong:
>
>   https://review.openstack.org/12692
>
> Patch set 2 isn't actually a trivial rebase - it makes a
> whitespace change, but the whitespace change is actually
> important. And, now that I think about it, I'm not sure it's a
> great idea to always ignore whitespace changes in trivial rebase
> detection.
[...]

It appears that git-patch-id is fairly inflexible in this regard,
taking no options to alter its whitespace-ignoring behaviors. It's
doing something akin to diff's -w whereas the behavior we'd want is
more likely along the lines of -BEb instead... or maybe even none at
all, since this also has implications for work which could in fact
be whitespace-only (PEP 8 conformance fixes, for example). I'm not
sure this is easily worked around without either modifying the Git
toolset on Gerrit or replacing git-patch-id with other heuristics
entirely. Suggestions?
--
Jeremy Stanley on behalf of the OpenStack CI Team