[openstack-dev] [Quantum][Common] Private rpc methods / declare_topic_consumer

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Sep 5 19:17:00 UTC 2012

On 09/05/2012 02:42 PM, Eric Windisch wrote:
> After a bit of a distraction, I've returned to working on some Quantum compatibility testing, analysis, etc. in regard to ZeroMQ.
>
> Currently, Quantum's NotificationDispatcher class uses connection.declare_topic_consumer which is not part of the standardized RPC abstraction. As such, it has not been implemented in the ZeroMQ driver.
>
> The obvious choices are to make this a required part of the abstraction, implementing it in impl_fake and impl_zmq, or changing the behavior of Quantum.  Also, relatedly, this isn't the first time this has happened in a project, we should really look at prefixing these private functions with _.

To clarify what *is* a part of the public interface:

in rpc/__init__.py, create_connection(), the docs say:

    :returns: An instance of openstack.common.rpc.common.Connection

so, rpc/common.py has a Connection class which declares the public
interface.

Adding prefixes to methods not used outside the class is fine with me.

--
Russell Bryant