[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Re: openvswitch provider patch

Robert Kukura rkukura at redhat.com
Mon Sep 3 20:35:14 UTC 2012

[For those on openstack-dev, this is a discussion of the desired default
behavior of the openvswitch plugin, which has changed somewhat with the
recent provider network implementation. Specifically, normal "tenant"
networks default to VLAN networks, which now require pre-configuration
of an OVS bridge for the physical network on each node where the agent
runs. Devstack by default configures openvswitch to use GRE tunnels
instead, as before, but tunnels require kernel support not in some
operating systems. See http://wiki.openstack.org/ConfigureOpenvswitch
for a description of the current openvswitch plugin configuration.]

On 09/03/2012 02:00 PM, Dan Wendlandt wrote:

> I think we agree on the high-level goal of having a default setup that
> does not require extra configuration that is not done automatically by
> quantum.

Yes.

> In my thinking, using VLAN mode requires an understanding of which
> physical network the traffic will go out onto, because we must provide
> OVS with a range of VLANs that we already know that they are available
> to be trunked on that physical network.  Thus, it doesn't really make
> sense to allocate VLAN networks prior to knowing the physical network.

That is a very good point. I completely agree. To me, this means we
should not create

>  In tunnel mode, the segmentation_id is completely decoupled from the
> physical network, meaning they can be assigned before the admin even
> needs to think about multiple hosts and which physical network is in
> use.  With this in mind, I would argue that the code should probably
> default to creating tunnel networks.

I agree, assuming VLANs and GRE networks are the only options.

>                                       One option would be to have a
> distro that does not support tunneling default to using VLANs, though
> that distro would also likely have to automate the creation of the
> external bridge, as I think defaulting to vlans without automating the
> creation of the external bridge will lead to a lot of usability
> complaints (the one thing I'm really sensitive to is people getting
> the impression that quantum is 'busted' and then being scared away
> from it more permemently).

I agree defaulting to VLANs would require auto-configuration of the
bridge to achieve the single-box zero-config objective.

I'm very hesitant to try to make the defaults or anything else dependent
on whether the OS supports OVS tunnels. This would just add confusion
and complexity. In the long run, I expect OVS tunnel support will be
moved into the Linux kernel source tree, and we'll just have to switch
from using patch ports to using veths to make it work, at least on OSes
with up-to-date kernels.

Other than defaulting to this sort of auto-configuring VLAN bridge
approach, I can think of two other options:

1) Default to allocating tenant networks as GRE networks, and make sure
they work at least locally on OSes that do not support OVS tunnels. I
think we'd mainly just have to detect the error when creating the patch
port for the tunnel bridge, log the error, and continue. We'd probably
also want to log an error every time the agent tried to bring up a GRE
network. I'd generally prefer to have the agent exit when the tunnel
bridge could not be properly configured, but logging and continuing may
be acceptable. But I'm also thinking about non-uniform connectivity
scenarios where some nodes support GRE tunnels and other do not - we
don't want the agent to exit in that case.

2) We could introduce a new "local" provider:network_type that
explicitly does not span systems. These networks would use the
integration bridge with OVS, allowing communication between VMs and
agents on the local host, but no external communication. This
network_type would not require any segmentation_id to be allocated, and
therefore not need a pool for allocation. A configuration flag in the
plugin, defaulting to True, would cause tenant networks to be allocated
as this network type. This seems like a clean solution, and very little
work to implement, but it may just seem too odd to have this sort of
network_type in quantum.

Any thoughts on either of these options vs. trying to auto-configure
VLAN bridges? I'm including openstack-dev, and would welcome input from
others as well.

> Regardless of the default, I definitely agree that we want to make
> sure the agent fails cleanly (and loudly) if it is config says to use
> tunnels, but the OVS version being used does not support tunnels.
> There should probably be a check at the start of the agent to do so,
> does that make sense?   I suspect we could just try to create a port
> of type = 'gre', and if that fails, conclude that tunneling is not
> supported.

I was thinking of just looking for an error when creating the patch port
as the first indication GRE networks would not be supported. As you say,
I'd prefer to have the agent "fail cleanly", but we if we go with option
1 above, we'd need to settle for "loudly".

>>> That is, the 'basic' use case is single box, meaning no config of an
>>> external bridge or tunnel-ip is needed.  This is how the plugin at
>>> least used to work.
>>
>> I agree we want this basic use case to work without altering the default
>> configuration.
>
> Agreed, I think that's the most important point.  Thanks,
>
> Dan

No problem. I should have tried to get a discussion going on the default
configuration much earlier in the provider network development, but
thought the defaults would turn out to be close enough to the previous
ones to not be an issue.

-Bob