[openstack-dev] [Openstack] Unable to start NOVA VOLUME

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Mon Sep 3 12:42:11 UTC 2012

> I have Installed Nova Volume in the Openstack Essex Controller. But
> When I restart the nova-volume service, I get the following error
[...]
> 2012-09-03 12:26:22 TRACE nova OperationalError: (OperationalError)
> (1054, "Unknown column 'volumes.instance_id' in 'field list'")

Hi Trinath,

One possibility is that you've mismatched versions of nova core
(specifically the DB schema) and nova volume.

The volumes.instance_id column exists in the Essex schema, but was
later dropped and replaced with an instance_uuid column (to reflect
the foreign key type changing from int to UUID-as-varchar).

Have you run a DB sync to up the schema version beyond Essex (i.e.
past migration index 82)?

Cheers,
Eoghan