[openstack-dev] Question on component docs

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Sat Sep 1 18:41:01 UTC 2012

Some questions below to help me see through your dev lens.

> more thorough overview than just a changelog. In those release notes I like
> to highlight 3 key areas:
>
> ·         release highlights (features and fixes)
>
> ·         known issues
>
> ·         backwards-incompatible changes (if there are any).

These are an excellent place where coders can highlight additions and
changes. Would love to see this required on patches for all projects -
make it a habit.

> Covering those three areas makes sure people upgrading really know what
> they’re getting. I’m already working on the Folsom release notes for
> Horizon.

Fantastic.

> I do like the idea of having a migration guide published for each version,
> though. I think that’d be helpful in making people mindful of what
> backwards-incompatible changes they’ve made in a release cycle.

Mentioned this in my doc report this week, not sure if mindfulness
will be a result of docs or the other way around, either way,
migration information is needed. I think it's good to have in the dev
docs, but really, migration is an ops task, yes?

> Though many (if not all) of the projects do have some form of installation
> guide already they could all be better. The problem there is that there are
> so many ways to install/setup/configure that writing a single guide is
> impractical. I think it’s better to have a concise summary of
> installation/deployment concerns that people should be made aware of, and
> then to provide sort of a “sample” or “reference” installation guide as a
> companion to that documentation.

Not sure if a project-by-project approach to installation is helpful
for all projects, but a use-case-by-use-case discussion of
installation would be good to include with dev docs. Ideally you'd all
contribute to "the" install/deploy guide in openstack-manuals. Let's
deep dive into this:
cinder - never install it on its own
nova - never install it on its own
swift - has a "swift-all-in-one" install doc, though it probably
should include keystone
horizon - never install it on its own
glance - never install it on its own
keystone - never install it on its own
(new) ceilometer -never install it on its own

To install for development work, devs use devstack or anvil, right?
Are my assumptions correct here or am I not looking through your dev
lens?

Thanks for these suggestions and discussion.

Anne