[openstack-dev] [nova] Automate backup images

Alex Meade alex.meade at rackspace.com
Wed Oct 31 21:01:03 UTC 2012

Hey Édouard,

My team has put together some ideas on scheduled backups as well.

A generic cron service, here:
http://wiki.openstack.org/scheduled-task-service

and a more robust snapshot scheduling service, here:
http://wiki.openstack.org/scheduled-images-service

We want to know what everyone else needs out of this feature, these are just some solutions we have thought about.

We need something more robust than simple periodic tasks since our cloud will be under heavy load. One example is in both proposals we have the snapshot time being determined by the system and not the user, this is important in a heavy load system since we do not want to handle a heavy load in bursts. However, allowing a user to specify time could always be an option of the deployer.

-Alex