[openstack-dev] [Stable Release] Pip Requires

Kiall Mac Innes kiall at managedit.ie
Wed Oct 31 13:03:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Pádraig Brady <P at draigbrady.com> wrote:

> [...SNIP...]
>
> One of the action items from there is:
>
> * freeze 'sane' version (max major version?) range at release time
>
> So by recording the max version in the pip-requires,
> it would mean that newer versions wouldn't be pulled
> in, in the future, that might break stuff.
> Also distros etc. should not be impacted since packages
> manage dependencies independently.

This is not necessarily true, for example:

$ cat
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/python_novaclient-2.9.0.17.g05bbe0f.egg-info/requires.txt
httplib2
iso8601>=0.1.4
prettytable>=0.6,<0.7
simplejson

$ dpkg -S
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/python_novaclient-2.9.0.17.g05bbe0f.egg-info/requires.txt
python-novaclient:
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/python_novaclient-2.9.0.17.g05bbe0f.egg-info/requires.txt

Any *other* python package that both depends on novaclient and uses entry
points to load code via `pkg_resources` will validate those requirements.

I was bitten by this with keystone yesterday, as mentioned in my previous
mail on this thread.