[openstack-dev] [Stable Release] Pip Requires

Kiall Mac Innes kiall at managedit.ie
Wed Oct 31 12:20:13 UTC 2012

Somewhat off-topic, but I'm going to mention it here anyway!

I've found that depending on an exact version can cause other subtle issues.

Yesterday - I noticed this:

   1. Keystone depends on WebOb==1.0.8, Ubuntu provides WebOb 1.1.1.
   2. Keystone works with WebOb 1.1.1 (This may be a fluke - and it may
   break with 1.2.0.. That's the issue you're having I believe)
   3. Moniker (my project) depends on keystone for the auth middleware
   4. Moniker uses entry points to load storage backends and CLI commands
   5. Attempting to load an entry point in Moniker raises an
   `pkg_resouces.VersionConflict` due to Keystone's dep on WebOb==1.1.1.

The "fix" was for moniker to not list keystone as a dependency - which in
this case was technically correct, keystone was not a hard requirement.

Additionally, This issue only surfaced once I built .deb's for Moniker
rather than relying on pip/virtualenv to solve the conflict.

Anyway - Just another thing to consider.

Thanks,
Kiall