[openstack-dev] Quantum awareness to VM live migration event

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Wed Oct 31 08:48:12 UTC 2012

As Gary said, Quantum at the moment does not have explicit awareness of the
physical location of a VIF.
Also, some plugins, like the OVS plugin, and I believe the Linux Bridge as
well, are really agnostic. They merely contain a database of logical ports;
the agents, which are running on the hosts, whenever they 'detect' a new
VIF has been plugged, query the Quantum service to fetch information about
that port and configure it.

It is debatable whether do we need to surface the physical location of the
VIF from the Quantum API. It is a discussion that comes fairly often on
this mailing list, but so far we have not found any strong reason for
exposing this concept. However, it is understandable that some plugins
might be architected in a way such that this kind of knowledge is required.
>From the Quantum side, this could be achieved with an API extension
(extended attributes might be structured as admin-only); from the nova
side, the current module would not be sufficient; at a first glance it
seems that it should be possible to create a 'plugin-specific' module by
deriving from the 'base' one, but I need to think more about it to state
whether that's the correct approach or not.

As regards live migration I agree that it's a slightly different topic, and
might require to be approach differently. Is that something you are aiming
to address to in the Grizzly release cycle? If yes, I'd be happy to talk a
little bit about possible strategies.

Regards,
Salvatore