[openstack-dev] [nova] entrypoint slowness

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Oct 30 22:44:32 UTC 2012

The review to land the first entrypoints switch over in nova passed
through review and hit jenkins this afternoon -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11027/ and Jenkins failed it on a
timeout (exceeded 30 minutes to run).

Clark helpfully suggested that the patch might actually have had a
performance impact, so I've been collecting data, and it did.

On a decent blade with a spinning disk.

Before the change the nova unit tests are running: ~385s (385.158s
, 386.089s on two runs to ensure no cache effects).

After that change the nova unit tests are running: ~920s (919.561s,
922.514s)

2.3 times slower.

On my laptop (SSD) the effect is there, but not quite as dramatic: ~450s
vs ~600s.

So only 30% slower.

While I get that in production, the class loading will disappear in the
noise, that huge hit on the unit tests seems really problematic from a
developer point of view. And a big problem from a CI perspective. Anyone
have ideas on why this is such a huge hit, or thoughts on how to
mitigate it?

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague