[openstack-dev] [nova] Action items from the "Road to live upgrade" summit session

Dan Smith danms at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 30 21:26:39 UTC 2012

> While looking for the right place to add this, I came across this
> existing wiki page (very sparse) -
> http://wiki.openstack.org/ReviewChecklist. Seems like the right place
> we should start? I think there were a lot of concrete comments on
> what a good migration looks like as part of that which we should
> write down.

Yep.

> I'm not sure we fully got to the solution here, but we at least know
>  that the fact that RPC versioning is only a receiver function isn't
> good enough, as sometimes nova-compute needs to cross talk.
>
> Whether this is an admin thing, or a negotiated thing is I think
> something that can be sorted out once someone finally starts tackling
>  the problem.

FWIW, I think that it has to be an admin control thing at this point.
There's no room for negotiation for most of the operations that are
implemented with cast. I'd guess that gaving the caller access (or keep)
information about what versions are supported by which node is probably
not the best thing with the current nova-compute layout.

Thanks!

--
Dan Smith
IBM Linux Technology Center