[openstack-dev] Configuration Options, APIs, Class Paths, Oh my!

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 20:55:31 UTC 2012

On 10/30/2012 01:32 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> Aren't these 2 different issues:
>
> Issue 1: does the user have a config file that's not full of python for
> convenience?
>
> This is solved by moving our loader for modules over to entry points
> because we can have aliases.
>
> Issue 2: do we allow arbitrary code at these extension points?
>
> As far as I can tell the barn door gets opened even wider with extension
> points (monty or doug can correct me).
>
> So if the primary concern is preventing the user from specifying
> arbitrary class there, because we in no way consider this a stable
> interfaces, this doesn't make it better, and possibly makes it worse.

You're right.  It's 2 issues.

However, I'm not sure you can just arbitrarily configure a full class
path after these entrypoint patches.  (someone correct me if I'm wrong,
I haven't reviewed them yet)  It looks like all of the valid options are
defined in setup.py.  I think once you have patch code to make something
work, you're clearly doing something unsupported.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11558/10/setup.py

--
Russell Bryant