[openstack-dev] [OSSG] SSL Review

Paul McMillan paul.mcmillan at nebula.com
Tue Oct 30 17:38:33 UTC 2012

comments inline
From: Clark, Robert Graham [robert.clark at hp.com]
> Fundamental:
>        * SSLv3 TLSv1 Minimum

None of the clients which use httplib2 can support TLSv1 without the SSLv23 handshake. Fixing this requires monkeypatching httplib2. Requests does support pure TLSv1 connections.

> Standard:
>        * Revocation information is checked (CRL/OCSP)

I believe none of the clients support this. Revocation checking is pretty worthless if you don't enforce a fail-safe operation mode. It's also a bit tricky, since you have to get caching right so you're not making twice as much OCSP traffic as real traffic. I'd put it as a nice-to-have, but wouldn't suggest that the effort-to-reward ratio would make it worth prioritizing over other things.

-Paul