[openstack-dev] Action items from the "Road to live upgrade" summit session

Dan Smith danms at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 30 16:12:19 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have gone through the etherpad[*] for the "Road to live upgrade"
summit session and pulled out what I believe are the necessary action
items. Below are the artifacts/blueprints (with names) I plan to create
as a result, but I wanted to float them here for comments before I do.

- Add a wiki page to document best practices for writing new database
   migrations. Some of these are documented in the "Suggestions" portion
   of the etherpad, but this will require some work by people that
   really understand the pitfalls and perils of that work.

- Add a nova blueprint for inserting sample data into the database
   prior to migration testing (migration-testing-with-data). The group
   identified the need to do migration tests with more than an empty
   database to catch consistency issues.

- Add a QA blueprint for multinode testing (multinode-testing).

- Add a QA blueprint for doing nightly runs of Grenade (nightly-upgrade-
   testing).

- Add a nova blueprint for versioning the RPC wireline format (version-
   rpc-messages). The group confirmed the findings of the previous
   session on trusted RPC with respect to the need for versioned RPC
   wireline messages so that future improvements can be made without
   requiring cluster-atomic upgrades.

- Add a nova blueprint for controlling the version used for outbound
   RPC messages (rpc-version-control). Right now, a version N+1 node
   can receive and handle version N messages, but can only send version
   N+1 messages. Allowing an admin to lock down the RPC version until
   all nodes have been upgraded allows for graceful cluster-wide
   upgrades.

- Add a QA (?) blueprint for mixed-version RPC testing (mixed-
   rpc-version-testing). This was a proposed attempt to specifically
   test a commit against the previous to ensure that the RPC layers can
   communicate (i.e. pass all the regular RPC tests). I figure this will
   be a scary script to splice things together, and that it could/would
   be run as part of gate or nightly testing.

- Add a nova blueprint for versioning notifications (versioned-
   notifications). The group identified the need to version notification
   messages for the same reason as RPC messages.

Comments?

*: https://etherpad.openstack.org/grizzly-live-upgrade

--
Dan Smith