[openstack-dev] Configuration Options, APIs, Class Paths, Oh my!

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 15:55:25 UTC 2012

On 10/30/2012 11:37 AM, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-29 at 21:21 -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:
>> This patch introduces a new configuration option, servicegroup_driver.
>> The default value for this option is
>> 'nova.servicegroup.db_driver.DbDriver'.  I have a couple of objections
>> with using a class path as the value.
>>
>> 1) It breaks as soon as the code moves.
> [snip]
>> 2) It implies that this is a stable, supported API.
>
> As a point of information, there is currently a series of patches by
> Monty to move nova over to using entrypoints.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I see that one patch in the series adds
short names:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/15030/

That resolves most of my concerns as long as we update all examples to
use the short names and leave the full paths as an implementation
detail.  Supporting the full paths for backwards compatibility makes
sense though.

--
Russell Bryant